THE TOWN OF ELMORE,VERMONT (05657)
Chartered: August 21, 1781 (Vermont Charter)
Area: 25,279 Acres = 39.5 Square Miles [Size Rank: 132*]
Coordinates (Geographic Center): N 44° 21′ W 72°31′
Altitude: 1,154 feet ASL
Population (US Census, 2000): 849 [Population Rank: 176*]
Population Density (persons per square mile): 21.5 [Density Rank: 184*]
Government: Select Board & Town Meeting
Public Schools: Lamoille North Supervisory Union & Lake Elmore School
*Area, Population and Density rankings refer to Elmore’s relative position among Vermont’s 255 civic entities (9 cities, 242 towns, 4 gores and grants).
ABOUT ELMORE, VERMONT Estimated 2010 Population is – 1020:
Elmore is a town in Lamoille County, Vermont. The town was named for a landowner, Colonel Samuel Elmore. The population was 849 at eh 2000 census. Elmore contains East Elmore, Lake Elmore and Elmore State Park, a 700-acre recreational area surrounding the 219-acre lake. It is located in the southeast corner of Lamoille County covering 49 square miles, and is bordered by Wolcott to the north, Morristown to the Southwest and Washington County towns of Worcester and Woodbury to the South. It is located approximately 51 miles from Burlington and 26 miles from Montpelier.
Material excerpted or adapted from Esther Munroe Swift’s ~ Vermont Place Names: Footprints of History
OF HISTORIC INTEREST¦
Meade Pond was the original name for Lake Elmore. Granted to and settled by a group of Connecticut Revolutionary War veterans and named for Colonel Samuel Elmore, under whom a number of the men had served. Also among the grantees was General Oliver Wolcott, for whom the neighboring town was named.
1780-Colonel Samuel Elmore and 64 others were given land grants in payment for their services in the Revolutionary War. 1798-The first mill in Elmore is built. According to the First Book of Town Records, On June 27, 1798 1813-First hotel is built in town by Seth Olmstead. 836-The Methodist Church was built near the present day cemetery. 1863-East Elmore Post Office is established. 1872-Oliver Bacon supervises the moving of the Methodist Church from its position near the cemetery to its present location. This is accomplished on a cold January day using oxen and logs as rollers to steer it across the ice on Elmore Pond. 1885 Lake area Telephone installed.