THE TOWN OF JOHNSON, VERMONT (05656)
Chartered: January 2, 1792 (Vermont Charter)
Area: 28,932 Acres = 45.21 Square Miles[Size Rank: 64*]
Coordinates (Geographic Center): N 44° 38′ W 72°40′
Altitude: 516 feet ASL
Population (US Census, 2010): 3,446 [Population Rank: 48*]
Density Rank: [60*]
Government: Select Board & Town Meeting
Public Schools: Lamoille North Supervisory Union, Johnson Elementary School & Johnson State College
*Area, Population and Density rankings refer to Johnson’s relative position among Vermont’s 255 civic entities (9 cities, 242 towns, 4 gores and grants
ABOUT JOHNSON, VERMONT – Estimated 2010 Population is 3,446
Johnson is situated in the central part of Lamoille County, under the shadow of Sterling Mountain (alt. 3,715 feet). Johnson is at the junction of the Gihon and Lamoille Rivers with an elevation of 531 feet. There is an incorporated village within the township bearing the same name.The Long Trail runs through the town, crossing the main highway at the lower section. Three camps: French, Barrows, and Parker are located on the trail within the town and can accommodate from eight to twelve people. Johnson is in the Green Mountains of Northern Vermont, just minutes to Smugglers Notch and Stowe.The town is perhaps most well known as the location of Johnson State College and Johnson Woolen Mills, but also has a rich tradition of farming and horses. The village of Johnson is home to a number of antique shops, several small eateries, gift shops, world-class craft producers and an art school.The Gihon River joins the Lamoille River here on its journey to Lake Champlain; both are excellent trout waters. Johnson reflects the beauty, clean water, and rich soil of all of Lamoille County.
Some Material excerpted or adapted from Esther Munroe Swift’s~Vermont Place-Names: Footprints ofHistory. At the present time Johnson has a grocery store/supermarket, a number of restaurants, several Auto service stations, a coffee house, at least four banks (several branches of one or more of them) and several small boutiques. It has antique shops, maple syrup bottlers, the world famous Johnson Woolen Mill and is also proud to have the Vermont Studio Center, a year round professional study and retreat center for artists and writers that hosts many international guests. Johnson has been named one of “The 100 Best Small Art Towns in America”.
OF HISTORIC INTEREST…
According to an early history of Johnson: “The Township, containing 23,040 acres, was first granted to a man by the name of Joseph Brown, who was one of the first settlers of the town of Jericho, some time previous to the year 1780. He caused the outlines to be surveyed, commenced the allotment in the eastern part of the town, and gave it the name of Brownington.”In the fall of 1780, while Mr. Brown was at his home in Jericho with his family (wife, two sons, and a daughter), a party of Indians who were returning to Canada after sacking the village of Royalton, came to Mr. Brown’s clearing. The Indians burned the log cabin and barns, killed cattle, and carried off the family as prisoners of war. The family suffered much from fatigue and hunger on their long, rough tramp to Canada, their principal food being raw bear’s meat.
Johnson was granted February 27, 1782, and chartered to William Samuel Johnson, Reverend Jonathan Edwards, Charles Chauncey, and others on January 2, 1792. William Samuel Johnson, for whom the town was named, considered of equal rank to Edwards as an exponent of idealist philosophy in colonial America. For more than half a century, he was active in three fields: jurist, statesman, and educator.